"broken windows" - the best thing I've found is to take the frosted contact paper and cut it apart to look like fractured glass. This works really well because you can apply it to the inside or outside of the window. The semi-transparent frosted contact paper takes on the appearance of the "glass" while the actual glass pane (which is transparent) disapears.
Next step was to drill the holes...we had decided to use drawer pulls for the centers, so we drilled our holes the appropriate size to fit their screws....We did break a few glass dishes so practice with a spare. :) What we learned was to make a "guide" hole with a smaller drill bit and then re-drill with the larger one. ...Also there is a fine line between to much pressure and not enough. Oh yes a little water in the bottom of the dish also helps!