Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler tests a MG 34 machine gun.First on the left is his adjutant, Cpt Joachim Peiper, who was to become one of the most decorated Waffen SS Panzer commanders.Himmler would often visit SS training grounds to fulfill his secret passion of becoming a "warrior" himself.
Caption: "German soldiers man an MG 34 (Maschinengewehr 34) recoil-operated machine gun, taking cover on the side of a house in Rahachow during the German invasion of the Soviet Union (Operation Barbarossa). Rahachow, Gomel Region, Belarus, Soviet Union. July 1941. "
A soldier from a Mountain Infantry Regiment (Gebirgsjäger) aims his MG-34 mounted on a tripod for use against aircraft. A full 360 degree traverse was possible with the tripod mount. Note the anti-aircraft spider sight, used in conjunction with the rear sights.