Old Church Slavonic (словѣньскъ) or Church Slavonic is a literary language which developed from the language used by St Cyril and St Methodius, 9th century missionaries from Byzantium, to translate the bible and other religious works. Cyril and Methodius based their translations on a Slavonic dialect of the Thessalonika area and invented a new alphabet, Glagolitic, in order to write them. (...)
Old Church Slavonic language (alphabet & language created by Saints/brothers Cyril & Methodius, c. 863) from the Flowery Triod (Triod' cvetnaja), 1491 (artists: Sveboldus Fiol & Jan Turzon ~ Krakow). One of the oldest printed Byzantine-Slavonic books since there had been no prior alphabet for that region.