Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

French explorer Samuel de Champlain

3
1

Samuel de Champlain (1567-1635), a French navigator, explorer. He founded New France and Quebec City on July 3, 1608. He explored the first permanent European settlement & established the French settlement that is now Quebec City..He's the 1st European to describe the Great Lakes, & published maps of his journeys. In 1620, Louis XIII ordered Champlain to return to Quebec & served as governer. He established trading companies & oversaw the growth of New France until his death in 1635.

32

Part II. Samuel de Champlain (c.1570-1635) He returned in 1608, founded Quebec, and established the first white settlement in New France. In 1609, he reached Lake Champlain in New York; later, mapped Lake Huron, and made this part of North America known to the world. He was governor of New France in 1626; his collected "Works," published in 1622-36, remain a great account of conquest and exploration.

Samuel de Champlain (1574 - 1635), "The Father of New France", was a French navigator, cartographer, draughtsman, soldier, explorer, geographer, ethnologist, diplomat, and chronicler. He founded New France and Quebec City on July 3, 1608. Here is a J.D.Kelly painting of a portage in 1615.

1

$200 2014 Pure Gold Coin Great Canadian Explorers Series: Samuel de Champlain

41
5

Baptismal certificate of our Samuel de Champlain

Samuel de Champlain (1574-08-13 – 1635-12-25). Le 3 juillet 1608, cet explorateur débarque à Québec en compagnie d'une trentaine d'ouvriers et y fonde le premier établissement français permanent en Amérique. Il dessine plusieurs cartes de la Nouvelle-France et il est l'auteur de nombreux récits de voyage, dont Voyages de la Nouvelle-France (1632). Image : George Agnew Reid - vers 1908 Bibliothèque et Archives Canada - Domaine public #patrimoine

15
2

Champlain statue, Quebec (LOC). Circa 1901

2

Samuel de Champlain was a 2,472,000 cubic foot rigid airship built by the Zeppelin Company at Friedrichshafen, Germany. Here she rests at Lakehurst. Her construction was partially funded by German World War I reparations. Completed in August 1924, she departed Germany in mid-October 1926 for delivery to the Royal Canadian Navy. www.airshipcenter.com

2