Bridge to Nowhere - San Gabriel Mountains - The Bridge to Nowhere is an arch bridge that was built in 1936 north of Azusa, California in the San Gabriel Mountains. It spans the East Fork of the San Gabriel River and was meant to be part of a road connecting theSan Gabriel Valley with Wrightwood.
Tongva Group near San Gabriel, California - Circa 1910 The name Gabrieleño is in reference to the Mission San Gabriel Arcángel set up by the Spanish colonists in 1771. Similarly, the Spanish referred to both the Tongva in the San Fernando Valley and the nearby Tataviam people, who spoke a different language, as Fernandeño, after the Mission San Fernando Rey de España.
The first tourist resort built in the San Gabriels boasted one of the most incredible -- and precarious -- sights in Southern California: the Christ Chapel. Lloyd B. Austin, Switzer-land owner spearheaded the bold development of this house of worship in the Arroyo Seco Canyon. Dedicated in June 1924, the resort chapel was erected on a cliff 200-feet above Switzer Falls.