Scott Outdoor Amphitheatre, Swarthmore College, PA. Designed by Thomas Sears and completed in 1942. 2ft high retaining walls are made from layers of local schist slabs and the randomly spaced trees are Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip Tree) and Quercus alba (White Oak).
The Scott Arboretum, the 300-plus acre campus of Swarthmore College, exhibits over 4,000 kinds of ornamental plants, displaying the best trees, shrubs, vines, and perennials for the region. Established in 1929 as a living memorial to Arthur Hoyt Scott through a bequest from Mr. Scott's family, the mission of the Arboretum is to display plants suited for home gardens and to educate the public.
Just southwest of Philadelphia, Swarthmore’s Scott Arboretum nurtures idyllic gardens of hydrangea, lilacs, and tree peonies and a courtyard devoted to fragrant trees and shrubs. The highlight is its outdoor amphitheater, a series of cascading lawn-covered stone tiers shaded by tulip trees and surrounded by Crum Woods and its holly and rhododendron collections.