April 10th 1968 9K Bolton mpd Looking very respectable considering the date, Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 44829 stands outside the depot at Bolton. This engine, built in 1944, served at many depots including Bristol Barrrow Road, Toton, Monument Lane, Bushbury, Holyhead, Saltley, Crewe South and Workington before arriving at Bolton during January 1968. Behind is Hudswell Clarke shunter D2516, formerly of Workington, awaiting removal to C.F. Booths Ref B1-19
Mary Queen of Scots fled to England, disguised as an ordinary woman, she crossed the River Solway and landed at Workigton, Cumbria, spending her first night at Workington Hall, on this day 16th May, 1568
South of the harbours of Maryport, Workington and Whitehaven, sandy beaches and grassy foreshores give way to cliffs around St. Bees Head, a high promontory, which was a danger to small coastal vessels trading between the ports of Wales and the Solway Firth. In 1718, Trinity House obtained a patent for the building of a lighthouse on the Head and in turn leased it to a private individual Thomas Lutwige, for ninety-nine years at an annual rent of £20. Lutwige undertook to erect the tower…
1880 - 1889. This log cabin coverlet uses the ‘Courthouse Steps’ block variation made from strips of richly coloured velvet, silk and ribbons . The blocks are all hand-pieced onto cotton foundation squares which have been over sewn together. It was made by Frances Haseldien, the daughter of a Fish merchant in Workington, Cumbria. 204cm x 209cm
Keswick is a market town and civil parish within the Borough of Allerdale in Cumbria, England. It had a population of 4,984, according to the 2001 census, and is situated just north of Derwent Water, and a short distance from Bassenthwaite Lake, both in the Lake District National Park. Keswick is on the A66 road linking Workington and Penrith, as well as the A591 road, linking it to Windermere, Kendal and to Carlisle (via the A595 road).