How to make Krathong
From Four Seasons Chiang Mai: floating flower boats for Thailand’s Festival of Lights
How to make Krathong
- 11 Pins
1. Wrap one banana leaf strip around the outside of your base and secure with pins.
Bananas Leaf, Banana Leaves, Seasons, Leaf Strips, Bananas Leaves, Lanterns Festivals, Floating Flowers, Lantern Festival, Flowers Boats
2. Fold the rest of the banana leaf strips into lotus petal shapes (pictured): to make one petal, fold the strip in half horizontally, and then open it flat again. Fold down the top left corner and the top right corner of the strip, which creates a triangle at either end.
Left Corner, Bananas Leaf, Half Horizontal, Lotus Petals, Seasons, Nice Things, Leaf Strips, Petals Shape, Bananas Leaves
3. Then fold each triangle toward the middle of the strip, making a diamond shape.
Krathong Thailand, Seasons, Flowers Arrangements, Thai Flowers, Lanterns Festivals, Lantern Festival, Flowers Boats, Diamond Shapes, Diamonds Shape
4. Take the right triangle and layer it slightly on top of the left triangle, creating a curve in the petal. Place some pins through the base of the petal, through all the layers of leaves. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect and precise!
Krathong Thailand, Seasons, Flowers Arrangements, Don'T Worry, Don T Worry, Left Triangles, Lanterns Festivals, Lantern Festival, Flowers Boats
5. Pin the petals all around your base, overlapping slightly to create a lotus flower design.
Flowers Arrangements, Lotus Flowers Design, Flower Designs, Thai Flowers, Lotus Flower Design, Flowers Boats, Floating Flowers
6. Place flowers, three incense sticks and a small candle in the center.
Lights, Flowers Arrangements, Four Seasons, Thailand Festivals, Quirky Flowers, Lanterns Festivals, Chiang Mai, Flowers Boats, Floating Flowers
Thailand - From Four Seasons Chiang Mai: floating flower boats for Thailand’s Festival of Lights
Tradition says that if you’d like to be blessed with riches, add a few coins. To get rid of bad luck, add a small piece of hair or fingernail trimmings. Then float your krathong in the water and watch the candlelight dance.