The Bowl, designed and built by Green & Wilson of Waterville, was the practice and performance hall of Eastern Music Camp on Lake Messalonskee in Sidney. It was built in 1931 when the camp acquired the property. The stage is 100-feet wide, 45-feet deep, and 65-feet high. It can seat a 500-piece orchestra. The clearing in front of the Bowl can accommodate a crowd of 3,000. The Bowl is still standing as part of New England Music Camp.
The orchestra at Eastern Music Camp on Lake Messalonskee rehearsing in the Bowl, the outdoor performance facility. The camp operated from 1931-1934. And now operates as New England Music Camp, the best place on earth.
The brass section -- tubas, trombones, and trumpets -- at the Eastern Music Camp at Lake Messalonskee in Sidney in about 1932. Second from left in the back row is Stanley G. Hassell, New England Conservatory of Music, a faculty member in brass. Camp still operates as New England Music Camp. <3