The Knox County Poorhouse, built in Knox County, Ohio in 1875, was closed down for code violations in 1953. In 1957, Mt. Vernon Bible College bought it & repaired it. The college closed in the 1980s and the building became a haunted attraction know as The House Of Nightmares.
Three miles south of Mt. Vernon is the tiny hamlet of Bangs, one of those never-heard-of-it towns with a vaguely dirty name. At one time it was the Knox County Poorhouse, but for some time now it has been known by a new name: the House of Nightmares.