Another handmade prom dress from a Simplicity Retro pattern--halter style.
Towards the end we were running out of time, so crinolines got made with one layer of netting. We made some black and some white--depending on the dress being worn.
We had to make lots of crinolines, so we used the bottoms of old tee-shirts (the bottom hem became the channel for elastic), then sewed on a couple of layers of gathered netting.
Cha-cha's dress was a thrift store dress that got a "shelf" bust line made of the hem cut off of one of the longer prom dresses when we shortened it. We glued Dollar Tree carnations to a piece of felt and then sewed them on (always trying to ensure the dresses can be used again for other things!)
We made the costumes for the back-up singers for "Johnny Casino." This was one of Simplicity's Retro patterns. I hated this material--awful to work with, but it looked good on stage.
This was another thrift store find that was a little too short so we added a ruffle and some trim to fix it up. Frenchy wore this one.
This was a great thrift store find. Added straps to make sure it stayed on while dancing.
Prom dresses that looked like they came from the 50s were hard to find. We did a lot of shortening of thrift store finds (mainly bridesmaid dresses) and added crinolines underneath to give the skirts some fullness. Some, like this one came with crinoline built in. Had to add straps because of the dancing--didn't want anyone to get flashed!
Marty, always looking for a man, ended the show in a poodle skirt with a diamond ring on it.
The simple cat silhouette was supplemented with a fancy polka-dot ribbon border.
Another classic poodle skirt--the sweater was a thrift store find!
We wanted lots of "comic book" colors for the play so the poodle skirts all were bright colors and simple designs. Here's the classic poodle in lime green.
Poodle skirts were handmade from a circle skirt pattern. The waistband was from blanket binding which acted as the channel for the elastic. Since more than one character wore the skirts, we had to keep them as flexibly sized as possible. The designs were hot-glued on.
Various characters--an "academic" with a pleated straight skirt, and "edgy" with capris and tight sweater and a "poodle skirt girl" with her skirt.