Medical Dispensaries in Eighteenth Century London (Abridged) by William Hartston MD MRCP, Health Department LCC, County Hall London, APril 3, 1963. (Image is of the Westminster General Dispensary at 9 Gerrad Street.)
hand-painted late eighteenth century ceramic inhaler by Rorstrand | Pulmonary Medicine | Collect Medical Antitques
At St. Bart's Hospital, Smithfield, via Spitalfields Life Blog
Late 17th or early 18th century medicine jars that once contained human fat -- one of several gruesome "cannibal medicine" remedies now forgotten by all except collectors of antique jars and historians of early modern medicine.
Messenger Monsey (1693–1788) by Mary Black and Thomas Black, 1764. Monsey was a physician who despised modern medical improvements and stuck to old habits. He was a country doctor in Bury St Edmunds until a chance meeting with the Earl of Godolphin led to his appointment to Chelsea Hospital and life in London’s high society.
Scalpel and retractor from The Palace of Versailles : Sciences and Curiosities at the Court of Versailles, exhibition from 26 october 2010 to 27 february 2011
Royal Apothecary of Saint-Germain. In the Château de Versailles, the King’s four apothecaries, their two assistant apothecaries and two distiller apothecaries were in constant employ. In the reign of Louis XV, around the apothecary courtyard they had large well-equipped rooms available to them, some of which were used as dispensaries and storerooms and as the accommodation of the chief apothecary. | Chateau Versailles
Article: Swimming in Broth: Medicated Baths in Eighteenth-Century Europe. Above: Apparatus for making mineral waters, 1783. Credit: Wellcome Library, London.
Female Anatomical Figure Probably Italian, 18th century Science Museum/SSPL A642635-6. The covering of the torso lifts off to reveal the internal organs. They demonstrate a knowledge of anatomy, but are not detailed enough to have been used for advanced teaching. | Cambridge University
Wine Tester, 18th Century, Made by J & J Gardner, Mathematical Instrument makers, Glasgow. The glass balls were floated on the surface of the wine to determine density. | National Park Service Museum Collections
Portable Copying machine invented by James Watt in 1795. Watt published a pamphlet entitled ‘Directions for using the Patent Portable Copying Machine Invented and Made by James Watt & Co.’ Click on image to read more
The Prince de Conti's Planetary Clock. This remarkable Louis XVI Ormolu Planetary Clock (‘Sphère Mouvante’) — the movement by Jean-Michel Mabille and the sphere by Martin Baffert —circa 1770, is a tour de force of horological complexity. It is so charged with technology that it may be viewed as an elite 18th century equivalent of the innovative 21st century products of Silicon Valley or the best watchmakers of today.
Surgery Plate from the Octavo edition of Diderot's Encyclopédie, 1770s.
Delft blue and white drug jar, ca. 1730, with a large cartouche surrounded by peacocks and floral swags, inscribed U Populeum, signed Johannes Pennis, 10 1/2'' h.
William Cullen, who died in 1790 aged nearly 80, a physician, chemist and agriculturalist, was one of the most important professors at the Edinburgh Medical School, during its heyday the leading centre for medical education in the English-speaking world. As the most influential medical lecturer of his generation, he drew thousands of students to the Medical School, and people wrote to him from across the globe for advice and treatments.
A FRUITWOOD, STEEL AND WROUGHT IRON WHEEL CHAIR, LOUIS XVI [Fauteuil de malade en bois fruitier, fer forgé et acier d'époque Louis XVI] | Lot | Sotheby's
Rare Carved And Polychromed Wood “Gaper” Dutch. 17th/18th Century. Gapers are gaudily painted heads that hang high above the entrances of druggists’ shops in the lowlands Amsterdam was once the gaper capital of the Netherlands with hundreds to let passersby know that the druggist is dispensing medicines and herbs.
Photograph of an early brass, steel, glass and stained ivory universal double microscope from 1740s
An air pump and condenser from 1761, made from mahogany, brass, glass, leather and iron
A mid 18th-Century Continental mahogany domestic medicine chest with ornamental brass strap-work and inlay, of trunk style with domed lid and double doors to the front, the interior with marquetry decoration throughout and fenestrations to reveal contents of bottles, the doors with two drawers surmounted by fitted area housing four bottles, the central upper section partitioned to house a further five similar bottles and two silver canisters...
Outstanding collection of obstetrical models, realized by Giovan Battista Manfredini in Modena between 1773 and 1775 Anatomical Museum in Modena (Italy) http://www.museianatomici.unimore.it/site/home/i-musei-anatomici/collezioni/museo-ostetrico/articolo560022386.html
Six 18th-Century English Delft footed, shallow-cupped ointment-pots, of differing sizes, three with blue stylized foliage decoration, one inscribed in blue for Fisher & Co. 112/8 Conduit Street Hanover Sqr and another for Waller & Son Guilford, and one plain - largest 4.5cm. (1¾in.) high and 2.6cm. (1in.) high; and two 18th-Century English Delft rouge pots, of cup-shape - both 2.1cm. ( 7/8in.) high (8)
Taraxacum officinale Dandelion William Kilburn (1745-1818)