June 11, A Thing A Day; LAST DAY of my challenge. After a busy but very fun weekend seeing friends, I decided, for this last challenge, to go back to the same style I did on day 1, a less-than-5-minute piece I call Pinstripe! Many thanks to all who followed, reacted, commented, and purchased(!) during my challenge. I'm now set to continue working daily in my studio - thanks to you all!
June 10, A Thing A Day; Last post while off island. Have a great Sunday!
June 9, A Thing a Day, Lamp in my room with a rather jaunty shade that appeals to me a lot.
June 8, A Thing a Day; I'm away from home but still want to keep up my challenge. My sketching skills are quite rusty but here's the one for today.
June 7, A Thing A Day; The test I did June 5 did not turn out - the ink leached into the surrounding paper (upper part of picture). Second test today (lower part of picture) left to right oil ink - halo, 2 -- acrylic paints - no halo, oil paint - some halo, and 2 colors of Akua ink used on the original. The black Akua did not spread like the red. I like Akua because of the consistency for the dribble. I'll be off island for the next 3 days but plan to post if I can get WiFi.
Throughout the challenge my plates have been pretty dinky. Today I used a plate that's 17" x 6", I constructed the shape as an extended Golden Rectangle. Some friends who are painter have a practice that I like. They use leftover paint from a painting as the underpainting for their next. I save my inks in cups. Today I mixed up 2 colors from those cups that are basically a gray-green but one has a yellow cast and the other a blue. Don't know what's next on this!
June 5, A Thing A Day; Here's the piece I did on June 3 with a little Sam Francis action going on. I took the photo right after I had done the addition of the red. Now I have to see how, and if, it dries. Will it spread out, hold it's shape or....?
June 4, A Thing A Day; I was off island today so I took a sketch pad with me. While I was on the boat I did a preliminary sketch for a possible linocut.
June 3, A Thing A Day; Minimalist today. I am planning add another layer on Tuesday but I need this one to dry a bit first.
June 2, A Thing a Day; this is a 'castoff' from yesterday. At first I thought I would do more work on it but now I think I want to leave it. The quiet simplicity is nice. I'll live with it awhile and then decide.
June 1 A, A Thing A Day; Today I learned what a challenge really means - I did NOT feel like going into the studio today. But I knew I would hear about it if I skipped a day so THANK YOU ALL for keeping me on it.After several days of futzing with the May 17 piece (working title, The Sage Says) I decided it was time to slap some color on a plate and run it through the press. So that's what I did. The first is the main piece.
June 1 B, A Thing A Day; The second is a ghost done on some Japanese mulberry paper which I actually liked better turned upside down.It occurred to me that many of you may not know that I am very new to this type of printing called mono-printing (unless you are a printmaker yourself in which case it is painfully obvious!) Read full post on my Facebook Page.
May 31, A Thing A Day; Still musing over the May 17 piece which I have posted in different permutations over the last week or so. I decided to try several ideas I had kicking around my head. A tedious process but it definitely helped me to focus on what the piece wants. Printed out a version I did in PhotoShop that is getting close. The print and the Photoshop version will hang on my wall until the piece lets me know what it wants.
May 30, A Thing A Day; After an exciting and busy morning at my 'real' job and an appointment in the afternoon, I knew I needed some subdued studio time. I curated and packaged the cards I printed on Monday. Tibetan flute CD playing and quiet work was exactly what I needed.
May 29 a, A thing a day; today was plenty of work, some snafus but progress on the May 17 piece. I added 6 color patches to the piece that you can see in the photo. See second photo >
May 29 b, A thing a day; Photo showing what my work table went through to come to those 6 small patches! This piece still needs detailing but I need to look at it for awhile and let it dry.