One of several spiral staircases in the basement of the Roosevelt Warehouse, where the Detroit Public School System stored unused textbooks. The building was originally the city’s main Post Office. It was connected via tunnel to Michigan Central Station across the street, where mail was delivered by train.
Just 350 yards from the Bronx, North Brother island was first used as quarantine centre in 1885. It was soon a home to 6 lepers. Its most notorious resident was 'Typhoid Mary' the first healthy carrier of any disease ever to be identified who spent years confined in its bleak woods. This island was also witness to the 1904 fire on board the passenger ship, General Slocum which killed 1,021 people on a church outing. Closed in 1963, it is now a haunting labyrinth of crumbling ruins.