The Streets of St. Louis

Enjoy this gallery of some of our favorite city images. If you're out and about in St. Louis, download our Historic St. Louis App: http://bit.ly/zdK8as or visit us on Historypin.com: http://bit.ly/I6ukQf.
590 Pins
10.89k Followers

Pope's Cafeteria in downtown St. Louis, 1953. Photograph taken by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki. Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection, Missouri History Museum.

Pope's Cafeteria, unidentified downtown location.

collections.mohistory.org

Pietro's restaurant, 3801 Watson Road. Photograph taken by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki in February 1961. Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection, Missouri History Museum.

Pietro's restaurant, 3801 Watson Road.

collections.mohistory.org

Looking north on Grand Avenue at Olive Street at midday, ca. 1962. St. Louis City Planning Agencies Collection, Missouri History Museum.

Looking north on Grand Avenue at Olive Street at midday.

collections.mohistory.org

Looking west on Locust Street from Fourth Street, ca. 1895. At right, a large clock advertises Mermod and Jaccard’s jewelry store, which was started in the early 19th century by Swiss immigrant Louis Jaccard. By the 1890’s it was one of the oldest and most prominent jewelers in St. Louis. Mermon and Jaccard’s would eventually be bought out by the Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney Department Store, pictured on the left. | Missouri History Museum

Looking West on Locust Street from Fourth Street.

collections.mohistory.org

St. Nicholas Hotel, 407 North Eighth Street, St. Louis. Photograph by F.D. Hampson, 1905. Northwest corner of Eighth and Locust Streets. (Also known as the Victoria Building.) Designed by Louis Sullivan. | Missouri History Museum

St. Nicholas Hotel, 407 North Eighth Street. Northwest corner of Eighth and Locust Streets. (Also known as the Victoria Building. Designed by Louis Sullivan).

collections.mohistory.org

Nineteenth Street looking south across Morgan and Lucas Streets. (Ca. 1900) St. Nicholas Catholic Church (German) at 1831 Lucas in left distance. Missouri History Museum

Nineteenth Street looking south across Morgan and Lucas Streets. St. Nicholas Catholic Church (German) at 1831 Lucas in left distance.

collections.mohistory.org

Old Court House and Planters Hotel at Chestnut and Fourth Street intersection, downtown St. Louis, 1870. The Planter's Hotel opened in the levee district in 1817. The hotel in this photograph is the Second Planter's Hotel, constructed in 1837 and considered one of the largest and most elegant hotels of its time. The hotel hosted prominent figures including Abraham Lincoln, U.S. Grant, Jefferson Davis, Andrew Jackson, and William Cody. | Missouri History Museum #stlhistory #history #19thcentu...

View looking west down Chestnut Street towards the Fourth Street intersection.

collections.mohistory.org

Faust’s Oyster House 5th and Elm Streets If you wanted to see and be seen among St. Louis foodies, Tony Faust’s Oyster House was the place to go. Faust’s was the most well-known restaurant in the city, and possibly in the entire American West. The restaurant closed in 1916 and the building was demolished in 1933.

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Aerial view of downtown St. Louis, taken in 1968. Busch Memorial Stadium and the Gateway Arch are visible near the banks of the Mississippi River. The Pruitt-Igoe housing project can be seen in the background. Photograph by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki. Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection, Missouri History Museum. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Street scene showing 1604-1614 South Broadway, including Steiner's, J.J. Newberry Company 5-10-25 Cent Store, Leets, Weiner's, and the office of Lawyer Harold L. Cuddy. Photograph by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki, 1961. Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection, Missouri History Museum. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

2020-2028 South Broadway, including Schaab's Stoves and Furniture, Bond Liquor Store, and Gelber's Men's Store. Photograph by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki, 1961. Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection, Missouri History Museum. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Downtown street scene at Locust and Olive, including the Old Post Office at 815 Olive Street and Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney. This photo was probably taken as part of efforts by the Landmarks Association of St. Louis to save the Old Post Office from demolition. Photograph by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki, 1960. Photograph from the Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection at the Missouri History Museum. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Downtown street scene at Locust and Olive, including the Old Post Office at 815 Olive Street and Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney. This photo was probably taken to promote efforts by the Landmarks Association of St. Louis to save the Old Post Office from demolition. Photograph by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki, 1960. Photograph from the Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection at the Missouri History Museum. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Pope's Cafeteria, 3538 Washington Avenue. Photograph by Henry T. (Mac) Mizuki, 1953. Mac Mizuki Photography Studio Collection, Missouri History Museum. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Christmas Tree holiday display on Twelfth Street between Locust and St. Charles Streets. | collections.mohistory.org Missouri History Museum

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

View north across the Grand Avenue Viaduct to mid-town St. Louis. The Melbourne Hotel and the Continental Trust Building are prominent landmarks. | collections.mohistory.org

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Northwest corner of Eighth and Pine Streets. (1905 to 1915) Missouri History Museum photo & prints collection.

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Merchants Laclede Building, southeast corner of Fourth and Olive Streets. This Greek Revival building was designed by the firm of Hatch and Miller in 1889. Although originally a bank, this building is now the home of the Hilton St. Louis Down at the Arch. Missouri History Museum photo & prints collection.

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

The “Cracker Castle,” so-named because its former owner, Jonathan Pierce, had made a fortune selling crackers, was just one of many elaborate homes along Chouteau Avenue in 1875 that was featured in Pictorial St. Louis. On the map and in a photograph, it was a sight to behold. Photograph by Emil Boehl. Map image from Pictorial St. Louis, Plate 40, Missouri History Museum.

Pinned from
historyhappenshere.org

Then/Now - View of Olive Street looking west from Seventh Street. Historic photograph by unknown, ca. 1900. Missouri History Museum.

Blending History

historyhappenshere.org

In this 1926 photo looking north on Third Street from Spruce, only the steeple of the Old Cathedral can be seen sticking above the surroundings. As St. Louis grew the riverfront became a dense mixture of businesses and warehouses, with the Old Cathedral stuck right in the center. Missouri History Museum. Read more: http://historyhappenshere.org/archives/7441

What's Old Will Become New as Cathedral Undergoes Renovation

historyhappenshere.org

This 1840 lithograph of the Old Cathedral shows its prominent size compared to the rest of St. Louis at the time. Lithograph by John Caspar Wild at the Missouri Republican newspaper, Missouri History Museum. Learn more about St. Louis' Old Cathedral: http://historyhappenshere.org/archives/7441

What's Old Will Become New as Cathedral Undergoes Renovation

historyhappenshere.org

Although buying & selling had taken place on the site as early as 1779, Julia Cerré Soulard donated 2 blocks to the City of St. Louis in 1842, stipulating that the land be used as a public marketplace. Sellers at Soulard Market hawked their products from wagons or trucks until the late 1920s when the city commissioned a market building. This photo is of the Soulard Market in 1910. Missouri History Museum

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

View looking west on Chouteau Avenue towards Seventh Street. (1960) Missouri History Museum

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org

Davidson Sales and Service shop on the northwest corner of Seventh and Clark Streets. (1949) Missouri History Museum

Pinned from
collections.mohistory.org