31 Ways VAWA, FVPSA, & VOCA Make a Difference [#31n31 October 2014]
· 1.13k Followers
For Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM) in 2014, NNEDV is bringing you 31 ways that key federal laws - VAWA, FVPSA, and VOCA - have made a difference in the lives of survivors and in communities across the country. There's one for each day of the month, so re-pin and help raise awareness!
26. #FVPSA created the National Domestic Violence Hotline, which operates 24/7, is available in 170 languages, and has answered over 3 million calls for help. You can reach the Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or online at: http://www.thehotline.org/ #31n31 #DVAM #DVhotline
8. #VAWA is the first federal law with an LGBT non-discrimination provision, which will help ensure that all survivors have access to safety and services, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Learn more at http://bit.ly/1d32ySf #31n31 #DVAM
The coordinated community response supported by brings stakeholders from victim services, law enforcement, the legal system, and more together so that we can all work collaboratively to improve responses to domestic violence.
2013 requires colleges and universities to develop plans to prevent dating violence and sexual assault, intervene appropriately when incidents occur, and increase training and education about survivors’ rights, bystander intervention, & more.
25. Each year, #VAWA funds training for over 500,000 officers, prosecutors, and judges, improving our country's criminal justice response to domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking. #31n31 #DVAM
17. #VAWA's homicide reduction program gives communities the tools to assess for domestic violence lethality and enact safety measures for victims. Learn about these lifesaving tools at: http://www.dangerassessment.org/ #31n31 #DVAM #domesticviolence #endDV
14. #FVPSA supports lifesaving emergency shelters, crisis lines, counseling, and services for survivors and their children. On just one day in 2013, more than 66,580 survivors & their children found safety & support in a domestic violence program. Learn more from our Census: http://bit.ly/1cVzAcF #31n31 #DVAM
Thanks for following along with this year's #31n31! Even though #DVAM is over, you can keep the conversation going about important ways we can continue to strengthen our nation's response to domestic violence. Stay connected throughout the year: http://NNEDV.org/signup
31. Happy Anniversary, #VAWA #FVPSA & #VOCA! Because of these laws, victims across the US are safer, more perpetrators are held accountable, & communities are more secure. Together, we have made tremendous progress - and we are energized for the work ahead! #31n31 #DVAM