Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Ohio U Demolished / Gone

Buildings & fixtures around the Ohio University campus that are long gone. Materials from the collections of the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections, Ohio University Libraries. Find more at http://media.library.ohiou.edu
63 Pins699 Followers

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1950. "New Natatorium Is One of Finest on Any Campus." It was located across from Scott Quad about where the Gordy parking lot sits. Built in 1949, it housed an Olympic-size swimming pool and locker rooms used by the swim team until the Aquatic Center was built in 1984. Demolished in 1997 to make room for the renovation/expansion of Gordy Hall.. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

archive.org

Howard Hall in summer postcard. Howard Hall women's dormitory was located on the corners of S. College and E. Union streets, and next to Voigt Hall. Howard Park is now where it once stood. :: Ohio University Archives.

Howard Hall in summer postcard :: Ohio University Archives

media.library.ohiou.edu

Spectrum Green yearbook, 1977. "A touch of tradition seemed to disappear before our very own eyes as we watched Howard and Super Halls disappear." :: Ohio University Archives

Spectrum Green, 1977

archive.org

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1950. "A happy event coinciding with the beginning of the fall semester was the opening of the University's new $425,000 Natatorium." The olympic-sized pool was used by the swim team until the Aquatic Center was built in 1984. The Natatorium was demolished in 1997. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1950

archive.org

Post (Athens, Ohio) February 7 2003, Page 1: "Hotel had rich history" "Black man owned one of Athens' premier businesses." Edward Berry built and owned the hotel that would later be called Berry Hall under OU ownership. Demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Page 1: Hotel had rich history

media.library.ohiou.edu

Student Union viewed from the College Green, late 1940s. Ohio University purchased the hall in 1922 to use as a men's center, then it became a coed student union in 1939. The building was demolished in 1952 to make way for old Baker Center. :: Ohio University Archives

Student Union from the College Green, 1940s late :: Ohio University Archives

media.library.ohiou.edu

Ewing Hall front (north) door. Ewing was demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Ewing Hall front (north) door :: Ohio University Archives

media.library.ohiou.edu

Ewing Hall auditorium interior. Ewing was demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Ewing Hall auditorium interior :: Ohio University Archives

media.library.ohiou.edu

Women's Gymnasium demolition, 1966. Demolished to make way for Alden Library. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

Berry Hall as Berry Hotel, 1951. Berry Hall began as Ed Berry's ice cream shop, evolved into the Hotel Berry, later the Berry Hotel. It was affectionately known as "The Berry." Purchased by OU in 1962 for use as a residence hall and offices. After it was demolished in 1974 the spot stood empty for many years, and is now the site of a diner. A historic marker for "The Berry" was unveiled May 23, 2004. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

Athena yearbook, 1964. The stained glass windows of Ewing Hall (now installed in Walter Hall) glow in the dark of the auditorium. It was demolished in 1974. :: University Archives

Athena, 1964

archive.org

Academy Building sketch. The Academy Building was the first building of the Ohio University campus. :: Ohio University Archives

Academy Building sketch :: Ohio University Archives

media.library.ohiou.edu

Athena yearbook, 1937. Ewing Hall was demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

archive.org

Athena yearbook, 1925. Ewing Hall was demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

archive.org

Athena yearbook, 1925. Super Hall was demolished in 1976. After remaining an empty lot for years, Bentley Hall Annex now fills its spot.. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

archive.org

Spectrum Green yearbook, 1975. "Eulogy to Ewing." Ewing was demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Spectrum Green, 1975

archive.org

Spectrum Green yearbook, 1975. The demolition of Ewing Hall in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Spectrum Green, 1975

archive.org

Tupper Hall (Old), interior of lecture hall. It was demolished to make way for Alden Library. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

Tupper Hall (Old) as Music Hall, postcard, 1900ca. It was demolished to make way for Alden Library in the mid-1960s. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

Wolfe Street Apartment Complex, flooded. It was demolished in 2012 to make way for a new dorm complex. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

Wolfe Street Apartment Complex, flooded. It was demolished in 2012 to make way for a new dorm complex. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

Wolfe Street Apartment Complex, flooded. It was demolished in 2012 to make way for a new dorm complex. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1959. The last of the elm trees that President William McGuffey planted on College Green. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1959

archive.org

Super Hall, colored postcard. Named in honor of Charles WIlliam Super, 8th president of OU, and completed in 1926. Super Hall provided more labs and classrooms for rapidly expanding engineering programs. It was demolished in 1976. Bentley Annex built in this location in 2002-2003. :: Ohio University Archives

Super Hall, colored postcard :: Ohio University Archives

media.library.ohiou.edu

Ewing Hall looking east ca 1940s. It was demolished in 1974. :: Ohio University Archives

Pinned from

media.library.ohiou.edu