Discover and save creative ideas

    Ohio U Greens: College

    Materials related to the heart of the Ohio University campus, the College Green, from the collections of the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections, Ohio University Libraries. Find more at http://media.library.ohiou.edu | @AldenLibDigital & @AldenLibrary


    Ohio U Greens: College

    • 110 Pins

    People leaving Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium, 1940s. :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena Yearbook, 2007. Class gateway, with College Green in the background, covered in snow. :: Ohio University Archives

    The Ohio Alumnus, February 1932. "Many Campus Changes In Past Century: Sheep Grazing and Hitching No Longer Common Practice on Front Area." :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena Yearbook, 1914. "The Gateway" "With ardent hope the Freshmen enter here: Unknown to care, not knowing how to fear. And four years later school and lessons o'er, He passes out to enter here no more.":: Ohio University Archives

    Ohio University Today, Fall 1979. "In July, the 'Ohio University Campus Green Historic District' was entered in the U.S. Deptartment of the Interior's National Register following nomination by the Ohio Historical Society." :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena Yearbook, 1953. People on College Green. :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena Yearbook, 1974. College Green scenes. :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena Yearbook, 1974. Man sitting under an umbrella on the wall at front of Baker Center (old), looking towards College Green. :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena Yearbook, 1984. "180 Years of History." "Today, Cutler Hall and the College Green complement the natural beauty of the campus. More students have crossed this Green than any other on campus." :: Ohio University Archives.

    The newly installed Rec Hall on College Green in 1948. It was meant to hold the overflow from the Student Union, which was across the street where the Schoonover Center now sits at the intersection of S. College and E. Union. :: Ohio University Archives

    Trisolini House :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena yearbook, 2006. "College Green" :: Ohio University Archives

    Ohio University College Green aerial view, 1964 :: Ohio University Archives

    World War One Barracks on College Green postcard, 1918 :: Ohio University Archives

    Athena, 1940. Cutler Hall was the first building on Ohio University campus and is named for a University founder, Manasseh Cutler :: Ohio University Archives.

    Bird's eye view of students streaming past Wilson Hall (Administration), 1960s mid :: Ohio University Archives

    Manasseh Cutler Hall, 1800s. Reproduction of Manasseh Cutler Hall image. Manasseh Cutler Hall is the oldest building erected for higher education west of the Alleghenies and north of the Ohio River. It has served as a dormitory, classroom building, laboratory, library, and and museum over the years. In 1966, it was designated a National Historic Landmark. Currently it houses the OU president's office. :: Ohio University Archives

    Ohio University Military Band on College Green postcard, ca 1932. :: Ohio University Archives

    Couple studying on College Green, ca. 1960s :: Ohio University Archives

    Class of 1862 alumni at the 1912 Class Gateway.Gift of the Class of 1912, the Gateway and brick path led across College Green between Manasseh Cutler Hall and East Union Street. :: Ohio University Archives

    Cutting down McGuffey Elms on College Green, late 1950s. The McGuffey Elms were planted as a beautification effort by William Holmes McGuffey, fourth OU president. The last of the elms was cut down in 1959 due to disease. :: Ohio University Archives

    Spectrum Green yearbook, 1977. "Enjoying warm fall weather a student does chinups on a tree on College Green" :: Ohio University Archives

    Academy Building sketch. Sketch of what the Academy Building might have looked like. The Academy Building was the first building of the Ohio University campus. It was a two story, two room, 24 x 30 feet brick building and stood on the east side of the College Green between Galbreath Chapel and University Terrace. A granite column with plaque topped with the Sundial marks the spot. :: Ohio University Archives

    Sundial marking Academy Building site, 1942 ca. :: Ohio University Archives