SYPHILIS GLASSES: Also from onegoodeye, is a rare set of green tinted four-lens spectacles commonly worn by sufferers of syphilis in the early 19th century. The design was patented by J.R. Richardson in 1797 and these ‘double D’ frames were hand made somewhere between 1800 and 1820.
D Frame spectacles. Octagonal sliding 4 lens blue glass spectacles signed Schildknecht. They measure across the front, inside 4” with the side lenses open, closed 4 1/2” across. sides fully extended to 6 1/4.” Circa 1850s, 19th century.
John McAllister, Sr. opens first U.S. shop for optometric services, Philadelphia. By 1816 John McAllister & Son was making gold and silver spectacles in a family business that survived until early 20th century.