Church of St. Joseph, Sainte-Marie among the Hurons was a French Jesuit settlement in Wendake, the land of the Wendat, near modern Midland, Ontario, from 1639 to 1649. It was the first European settlement in what is now the province of Ontario. Eight missionaries from Sainte-Marie were martyred, and were canonized by the Roman Catholic Church in 1930. Sainte-Marie Among the Hurons is a National Historic Site of Canada and a reconstruction of the mission now operates as a living museum.
French explorer Jacques Cartier arrived in 1534, and Samuel de Champlain arrived in 1603 to build French settlements. Soon after, Jesuit missionaries followed and in 1663, Louis XIV of France dubbed the area "New France". The British won control of Canada in the French and Indian War in 1763; however, Parliament passed the Quebec act in 1774, ensuring the continuation of French civil law in Quebec. In 1974, Quebec proclaimed French as its official language.
The Chapel, Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, Midland, Ontario, Canada The Chapel is one of the many reconstructed wooden pioneer buildings within Sainte-Marie among the Hurons in Midland, Ontario, Canada. It gives a good taste of what the French Jesuit mission life was like.
The Five Arc Bridge of Packenham Pakenham, Ontario, is a small town just west and north of Ottawa. In 1901, the engineering firm of O'Toole and Keating built the only five arch stone bridge of its kind in all of North America.