Gimbels Clock. Gimbels was a major department store that was established here in Philadelphia in 1894 by Jacob & Isaac Gimbel. This location closed for a move to the Gallery in 1977, and the Market St. portion of the store was demolished. The Chestnut St. side remains in use as an office building. The building was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. Oh, and the clock still works.