Faro Isla Pérez, station established 1901. The original lighthouse was one of nine cast iron towers given to Mexico by the British government and built by the British firm Chance Brothers. The original wood keeper's house survives in poor condition; there is interest in Progreso in restoring it. The cay, at the south end of the Arrecife Alacrán.
The first-ever ship-to-shore radio transmission and ship-to-shore distress message were received at South Foreland Lighthouse in St Margaret's Bay, Dover. Now decommissioned, the lighthouse is also memorable for its mention in the sea shanty Spanish Ladies ("We bore up for the South Foreland light...")
The tallest lighthouse in Bitain, 48-metre-high Skerryvore stands on a reef off the west coast of Scotland which once wrecked many ships. Building it was incredibly difficult: its chief engineer, Alan Stevenson (uncle of Robert Louis) and his team often found it impossible to land on the rock, and on many occasions equipment was swept away into the sea.
Lorain lighthouse sits at the end of the west breakwater in Lorain harbor. The structure, built in 1916, guided Lake Erie ships for 50 years before being allowed to fall into disrepair. The lighthouse was scheduled for demolition in the 1980s before a grass-roots effort saved the building. The three-story keeper's house is made of poured concrete with walls 10" thick to keep out the sometimes fierce Lake Erie storms.