Discover and save creative ideas

    More to explore:


    More from this board

    Northland Shopping Center in Southfield opened in 1954

    Today we celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous "I Have A Dream" speech in Washington, D.C., but did you know that MLK first gave this speech on Sunday, June 23, 1963, in Detroit, MI at Cobo Hall?

    Kern's clock, a favorite meeting place for so many

    The J.L. Hudson Co.

    Stroh River Place is a 25-acre mixed-use campus development that brings together the best in business amenities and upscale living.

    The Dequindre Cut Greenway, an urban recreational path, opened to the public in May of 2009. The 1.35-mile greenway offers a pedestrian link between the Riverfront, Eastern Market and many of the residential neighborhoods in between. Formerly a Grand Trunk Railroad line, the Dequindre Cut is a below-street level path that runs parallel to St. Aubin Street, between Mack Avenue and Woodbridge Street just north of the Riverfront.

    Hart Plaza is a long time city riverfront destination and venue for a host of summer festivals and concerts. The 14 acre plaza, which is named for the late U.S. Senator Philip Hart, opened in 1975 and has a capacity of 40,000 people.

    Hurlbut Memorial Gate, named for Detroit grocer and Water Commissioner Chauncey Hurlbut (1803–1885), marks the entrance to Waterworks Park, the main site of Detroit's municipal water system. The gate is a handsome limestone Beaux Arts design.

    The 15-story General Motors Building was designed in 1919 by Albert Kahn, and used until 1996 as the headquarters of General Motors Corporation. The building, currently known as Cadillac Place, is now leased by the State of Michigan.

    Fort Wayne is Detroit's third fort, after Fort Detroit and Fort Lernoult. The original star fort and barracks at Fort Wayne was constructed in 1845-48. It served as a mustering center and garrison post from the Civil War though the Vietnam War. Later buildings were added outside the star fort, including officer's homes, a guard post, hospital, additional barracks, and other buildings.

    The Piquette plant is a New England mill-style building, built by the Ford Motor Company in 1904. The building is where the Model T was designed and first built. Ford moved out in 1910, selling the building to Studebaker. It is currently operated as a museum, the Model T Automotive Heritage Complex.

    The Eighth Precinct Police Station is the second-oldest police building in Detroit. The station is made up of two, two-story structures with a single-story arcade between. The main building was used as office space while the other building was used as a garage. The building currently houses Phoenix Group Consultants.

    Eastern market, established in the 1850s, is the largest historic public market district in the United States. The district houses food wholesaling and processing businesses as well as public market sheds.

    The Detroit Naval Armory, also known as the R. Thornton Brodhead Armory, was constructed as a training facility for the Michigan "naval militias," the forerunner of present-day Navy and Marine Corps Reserve units. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration funded numerous artistic additions to the armory; this collection of WPA art is the largest collection of federally funded Depression-era artwork of any building in the state.

    This Roman Catholic parish was started in 1830 by German immigrnats. The church is known as the Assumption Grotto Church, due to the popularity of the grotto, completed in 1881, which was built as a replica of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes in France. The church complex includes the grotto, a 1929 church, a rectory, convent, and cemetery.

    The Antietam Street bridge (along with the nearby Chestnut Street bridge) was built in the late 1920s and early 1930s as part of Detroit's program to separate railroad and street grades. It runs over what was once the Grand Trunk Railroad, and is now the Dequindre Cut. The bridge was demolished due to structural deficiencies.

    Alden Park Towers

    Detroit, 1916. "Park Boulevard canyon." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company

    Detroit Public Library (old) - Old photos — Historic Detroit

    Crowley's Department Store - Old photos — Historic Detroit. This was a bridge between two buildings

    Woodward Avenue looking north circa 1905



    Ford Historic Logo Tin Sign

    Beyonce's just-released tribute to Detroit! "A Change is Gonna Come", compiled from her recent concert in The D!