Cordes, AZ. In 1883, John Henry Cordes, a native German, his Wife "Lizzie", also a german immigrant, & son Charles moved to Antelope Station, where for $769.43 he purchased a small adobe stage sttop along the route of the California and Arizona Stage Company. The Cordes post office closed in 1944, but the town lived on until the 1950s, when it was bypassed by the Black Canyon Freeway. Still standing is a gas station that closed in 1973. The Cordes family still lives there.