Nicknamed "The Triangle" because it is triangle" bounded entirely by railroads, Burnside is the smallest of Chicago's community areas. The neighborhood occupies a different physical place from what earlier Chicagoans knew as Burnside. Originally known as Stony Island, then Burnside Triangle, it was situated almost entirely in the communities of Roseland and Chatham. After the 1920 mapping of community areas by U of C sociologists the area officially became Burnside.
Located in a small northern pocket of the South Shore community area, Jackson Park Highlands "is a registered Chicago Landmark District that was laid out in 1905 with innovative features such as: large front yard setbacks, lots 50 feet wide, underground utilities, and no alleys."
In 1879, after receiving 80 acres in a state land grant, George Waite called his new property "Mount Greenwood" because of the abundant presence of trees on an elevated ridge. Once an area known for its farming (with boundaries that include Chicago's only remaining farm), Mount Greenwood is now a blue collar and predominantly Irish-Catholic neighborhood that is home to its fair share of firefighters, police officers and union workers.
Once an area known for it's abundance of industrial pollution, leading to the nickname "Smokey Hollow," River North is now an established center for the art community that is "brimming with galleries, production companies, photography studios and interior design businesses."
First settled by Germans in the 1800s, and later as a port of entry for Puerto Ricans, many original families moved to the suburbs or other parts of the city during the 1950s and 60s. The area around North and Wells became the nexus of hippie culture. Soon after with its many music clubs, it became the center of the folk music scene, a legacy that lives on today. Old Town slowly transformed into a beautiful place to live, with its Victorian-era buildings, shopping, dining and entertainment.