Schoenbrunn Village, Ohio ~ New Philadelphia ~ This village and Gnadenhutten were two Moravian missions established in Ohio in the late 1700s. Native Americans who had converted to Christianity lived, farmed, and worshipped in these villages. Both towns were massacred by a mob of American settlers.
First settled in 1772 by Moravian Missionary, David Zeisberger, Schoenbrunn (Delaware for "Beautiful Spring") has become the window into our states past. Schoenbrunn Village grew to include over sixty dwellings and 300 Delaware Native Americans and Moravion missionaries. These residents drew up Ohio's first civil code and built its first Christian church and schoolhouse.