Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Explore Black Female, Black Orientate, and more!

Mary Dee Dudley, one of the nation’s first black female disc jockeys, was in the air chair at a special Hill District studio for what was then known as WHOD (860) in Homestead. (Pittsburgh Courier archives)

Studio portrait of Mrs. Fannie Hendricks in formal dress. Black River Falls, Wisconsin. Charles Van Schaick, photographer ca. 1893

Jackie Ormes was the first African-American female cartoonist. Ormes' cartoon characters — Torchy Brown, Candy, Patty-Jo & Ginger — delighted readers of African-American newspapers such as the Chicago Defender and Pittsburgh Courier between 1937-56.

Jackie Ormes (1911-1985) was the first nationally syndicated African-American female cartoonist. She started as an editor for a weekly African American newspaper called the Pittsburgh Courier, and in 1937 the paper began publishing her Torchy Brown comics.

Female worker bottling ketchup at the original Heinz factory circa 1897. Pittsburgh, PA. @Gavin Raymond White

Travelettesfrom Travelettes

Traveling Women in History – Nellie Bly

Nellie Bly - the pen name of Elizabeth Jane Cochran, an American pioneer female journalist, born in 1864. At the age of 20 she wrote a fiery letter to the editor of a sexist column in the “Pittsburgh Dispatch”, this editor, completely impressed by her letter, offered her a job at the newspaper. And this is how Elizabeth Jane Cochran became the journalist Nellie Bly.

July 1938. "Slums in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." 35mm nitrate negative by Arthur Rothstein for the Farm Security Administration.

Love this Vintage Escalator, Kaufmann's (Macy's) Department Store, Pittsburgh - I stumbled upon it a couple of years ago, top of the store

“Little Ethiopians:” 19th Century Photography of African Americans: "Little Ethiopians." Cabinet card by Smith Studios, copyrighted 1881. PR 52, Portrait File, New-York Historical Society.

Nov. 25, 1960: “The Day after Thanksgiving” Black Friday in 1960 was not the busiest shopping day of the year. Although people did go shopping, this part of Downtown photographed on Forbes Avenue, near Stanwix Street was quiet. The Downtown streets were deserted but for a nearly empty bus, a couple of automobiles, a trolley at far right and a lone street cleaner. For many, it was a family day spent at home. (Post-Gazette photo) — Mila Sanina

Debs About Town members, posed on step outside of the University of Pittsburgh’s Falk School , 1941 via Teenie Harris, Photographer: An American Story at Pittsburgh’s Carnegie Museum of Art.