THE ASTORIA MANSION - Originally built by optician, Dr. Benjamin Pike, Jr. in 1856 as a weekend home, the 27-room granite home was still new when Pike died in 1864. Pike's widow sold the house and surrounding land to the Steinway family--who were moving their piano factory from lower Manhattan to Astoria. The Steinways occupied the house for the next fifty years until the piano manufacturing business took a dive during the Great Depression. Biddy Craft History, Fifty Years, Manufactured Business, Steinway Mansions, Human Talent, Lower Manhattan, America Castles, Amazing Human, Piano Factories
Also on these boards
It has been owned by the Halberian family since 1924, and was declared a New York City landmark in 1967
Astoria, New York - The historic Steinway mansion ---- The 27-room mansion, situated atop a hill at 18-33 41st Street, was originally a summer home for the piano manufacturing Steinway family. It has been owned by the Halberian family since 1924, and was declared a New York City landmark in 1967.