Soddy-Daisy, TN --- The New Soddy Coal company store in 1910. The store was built in 1883. It was owned and operated by Durham Coal and Iron. Closed in 1929. After a hosiery mill operated out of it for a short period a furniture manufacturer started using the building in 1961. On Christmas Eve 1961 some young boys threw a cherry bomb inside the building thru a crack and caught the building on fire. The building was a total loss from the fire.
The Walker sisters at home in Sevier County, Tennessee, c.1962 ~ Margaret Jane (seated) & Louisa Susan. The Walker farmstead was originally built & settled by 1870. The farm was placed on the Nat'l Register of Historic Places in 1976. It has since been restored & maintained by the Park Service in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (bottom pic). Wikipedia entry ~
During the Civil War, the largest employer in Lenoir City, TN was a cotton mill, owned by Dr. Benjamin Ballard Lenoir (whose father founded the town). When the Union Army got to town, they burned the Lenoir’s general store because the family supported the Confederacy. But before they got to the cotton mill, Dr. Lenoir gave the secret Masonic handshake to several of the Union officers – so they didn’t burn it down.
from CHUCKMAN'S PHOTOS ON WORDPRESS: CHICAGO NOSTALGIA AND MEMORABILIA
CHICAGO FIRE 1871 – PHOTO OF SOME RUINS – SEPIA – LATER REPRINT
Chicago fire, 1871. The Chicago Fire was preceded in 1863 by an erysipelas epidemic. Both were signs that the city was growing too fast, and that the alleys and streets were unsafe in terms of public health.
The Blizzard of 1888 - With up to 50 inches of snow dumped across the northeast United States this monster blizzard was aptly dubbed ‘The Great White Hurricane’. Major metropolitan areas like New York faced severe winds of up to 45miles an hour, drifts of more than 50 feet and floods caused when the snow melted.
Mingus Mill, near Cherokee, North Carolina, was built in 1886 by Sion Early for six hundred dollars. It was a custom mill which catered to each customers preference. It was acquired by the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in 1930.
Windsor Ruins of Mississippi ~ It was once one of the largest, 25-room mansion homes built during the Civil War period. It burned by accidental fire soon after being built. It has been noted that Mark Twain would sit on the roof of the house and watch steamboats travel along the Mississippi River. The large columns are the only remains. It is located in rural Claiborne County, near the Natchez Trace Parkway