Discover and save creative ideas
    Related Pins
    • Ton van Pelt

      Statue menhir from Ermida, northern Portugal, with tree pattern on torso.The breasts with nipples are unusual, although some in less pronounced relief are found in female statue-menhirs further to the south, in central Alentejo.

    More from this board

    This is a reliquary for the tooth of St. Nicholas, which the Saint is holding. (Prague, ca. 1300) Wow, all that for a tooth...

    Reliquary Tabernacle with the Virgin and Child, ca. 1350

    Angel from an Architectural Reliquary, c. 1400 Franco-Netherlands or Paris, 15th century

    Tabernacle in the form of a miniature domed church, made in Cologne, Germany, c.1180 (source). Around the dome are seated Christ and the Apostles, while below are 16 prophets and panels depicting the Virgin and Child, the Journey of the Magi, the Crucifixion, and the Holy Women at the Sepulchre.

    *Reliquary of the umbilicus Christ-France (Paris?), 1407

    A Eucharist dove from the early 13th century, used to store the wafers for communion. The dove, which would be hung above the alter, was also meant to signify the presence of the Holy Spirit.

    The Dunstable Swan Jewel. Medieval, around AD 1400. From France or England.

    Chalice, mid 15th century.

    Silver Censer, Basel, c. before 1477

    Fussreliquiar. Gold-plated copper. For the relic of one of the innocent children of Bethlehem. Goldsmith Oswald About Linger Eberler, Basel. Silver. Origin: Basel (BS), Cathedral Treasury, ca. 1450, The National Swiss Museum.

    Amazing key from the 1500's.

    Capital with Bust of the Archangel Michael, ca. 1250–1300. Byzantine; Made in Constantinople, possibly from the Monastery of the Virgin Peribleptos ("All-Seeing"), now the Sulumanastir, a mosque. Marble.

    Casket, 11th–12th century. Probably southern Italy or Sicily. Ivory

    Porphyry vaseVase: Egypt or imperial RomeMount: Saint-Denis, prior to 1147 Treasury of the abbey of Saint-Denis

    Reliquary bust. HeiligerJustus. In octagonal openwork foot plate which is supported by four lions. Silver, gold plated, copper plated. Around 1450 - 1500. Origin Church of St. Justus, Flums, Canton of St. Gallen.

    Candlestick Germany, 1200-1400 The Victoria & Albert Museum

    Corpus of Christ, ca. 1250 French; Possibly made in Paris Elephant ivory, traces of paint

    Golden Rose commissioned by Pope John XXII (1316–1334) and given to Rudolph III of Nidau. Rose: Avignon, 1330; knot with filigree: third quarter of the 14th century; base and enameled coat of arms: after 1330. Gold, gilt silver, colored glass, champlevé enameled on silver. From the Treasury of the Basel Cathedral.

    Ostensorio imperiale, Basilea, 1347-1356, argento dorato e smalto traslucido, conservato a Basilea, Historisches Museum. Conteneva in origine le reliquie della coppia imperiale, Enrico e Cunegonda, rappresentati in cima ai pilastrini laterali e nei medaglioni del piede.

    Architectural Canopy, c. 1450-1475 France, Burgundy, 15th century

    Christ relief - 5th century. Sammlung: Skulpturensammlung und Museum für Byzantinische Kunst | Museum für Byzantinische Kunst

    Reliquary - 1443. Produced in Lüneburg. © Foto: Kunstgewerbemuseum

    Fork with spoon scoop - 1480. Produced in Lüneburg. © Foto: Kunstgewerbemuseum

    Portable altar with rock crystal columns from the Guelph Treasure 1 Third 12 century. Stylistic origin: Lower Saxony. © Foto: Kunstgewerbemuseum