The Vladimir Mother of God Church in St. Petersburg was opened in 1783. It is a beautiful blending of baroque and classical elements. After the Russian Revolution, the church was closed and became a library of anti-religious literature. Interesting enough, from 1930 to 1940, it was one of the few places in Soviet Russia where one could read the Bible. Since 1991, the church has been returned to the Russian Orthodox Church. It has a magnificent baroque iconostasis that has survived.