The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engined Second World War heavy bomber designed and built by Avro for the Royal Air Force. It first saw active service with RAF Bomber Command in 1942 and, as the strategic bombing offensive over Europe gathered momentum, it became the main heavy bomber used by the RAF and squadrons from other Commonwealth and European countries serving within the RAF. The "Lanc", as it was affectionately known, delivered 608,612 tons of bombs in 156,000 sorties.
The open bomb bay of an Avro Lancaster with munitions used for industrial demolition (Bomber Command executive codeword "Abnormal"). The bomber was from No. 9 Squadron RAF at Bardney, Lincolnshire, preparing for a night raid on Stettin, Germany (January 5, 1944). The full ordnance load consisted of 14 1,000-pound high-explosive bombs.
Lancaster bombers were produced in great numbers in England , Scotland and Wales At the time it was the worlds largest and fastest bomber. The picture shows one in flight with four mighty Merlin engines taking it into the wild blue yonder and the other with its 8 ton load ready for an operation against the Axis forces. Source: Forces War Records Historic library.