A forty-foot circle hole in the roof of a U-boat pen in Brest which had received a direct hit during the Allied bombardment. The capture of the deep water ports of Brittany did not greatly help the Allies, however, since the Germans had, as in Cherbourg, carried out thorough demolition of the port facilities before surrendering.
The USS Torsk (SS-423) is docked at the Baltimore Maritime Museum and is one of two Tench Class submarines still located inside the United States. It is nicknamed the "Galloping Ghost of the Japanese Coast." In 1945, Torsk made two war patrols off Japan, sinking one cargo vessel and two coastal defense frigates. The latter of these, torpedoed on 14 August 1945, was the last enemy ship sunk by the U.S. Navy in World War II.
The U-618 was a Type VIIC U-boat of German Kriegsmarine during World War II. Her keel was laid down on 29 May 1941, by Blohm + Voss in Hamburg as 'werk' 594. She was launched on 20 February 1942 and commissioned on 16 April 1942 under the command of Oblt. Kurt Baberg.
Type XXI U-boats, also known as "Elektroboote" (German: "electric boats"), were the first submarines designed to operate primarily submerged, rather than as surface ships that could submerge as a means to escape detection or launch an attack. Built: 1943–45 Completed: 118
DAS BOOT! Submarine flotilla in Bergen 2nd submarine flotilla in Bergen, Norway. In the center is U-2511. This is the only boat of the TWENTY-FIRST series, which completed its patrols April 30, 1945 U-2511 commanded by Captain Adalbert Schnee after a patrol into the Caribbean Sea. May 2, 1945 after safely passed 2 English anti-submarine cordons appeared in the Atlantic. May 4, 1945 just to receive a radio order to suspend patrols and to return to base in connection with the surrender of…
The Ohio-class guided-missile submarine USS Georgia (SSGN 729) arrives for a routine port visit to Souda Bay, Greece. USS Georgia is on her maiden operational SSGN deployment since converting from a ballistic missile submarine to a guided-missile submarine. (US Navy photo)
Three type VIIC-boats and the type IXA boat U 37 (second boat from the left) at the beginning of 1942 in Gotenhafen. U 37 and the VII C-boat of the 22. U-Flottille where they served as training boats for new crews. All the boats are fitted with removable ice protection structures on their bows. In the background is the ex norwegian passenger liner Vega which was used as a depot ship and had been renamed Wega by the Kreigsmarine.