Moss: Long since abandoned, the 1892-built Verne Battery was used for storing fieldguns brought over from France, and during WW2 to house ammunition in preparation for the D-Day landings. It also became an AA battery (anti-aircraft artillery). Thousands of gravestones were hewn from Portland Stone for the fallen Allied soldiers who died in both World Wars. It was also used to build the Cenotaph in Whitehall.
"Ten miles north of Catania, Italy, two British Bren gunners and their assistants cover a street corner on the Via Vittorio Emmanuele II in Acireale, Sicily, 1943." Combined photo of then and modern location by Jo Hedwig Teeuwisse.