Abandoned City Methodist Church in Detroit, Gary, Indiana. It opened in 1925, as part of a complex that included an education building, a theater, and a commercial retail structure. As Gary was abandoned the church membership fell from 3,000 to 150. It was closed in 1975.
At its peak this once-magnificent church in Gary, Indiana had 3,000 congregation members. But like so many places in Gary it fell into disrepair as industry money dwindled in the region and social changes occurred. It was initially readopted by another congregation, then partially occupied by businesses, then finally abandoned and eventually burned.