sign up (free!)
Headquarters Flag of General Robert F. Hoke A native of Lincolnton, General Robert F. Hoke rose to the rank of major general during the Civil War. This is a second national pattern Confederate flag adopted on May 1, 1863 and used until replaced on March 4, 1865. Because of its large white field this pattern flag was nicknamed the "stainless banner." This flag most certainly marked Hoke's headquarters during his brilliant victory at Plymouth, North Carolina on April 20, 1864. This flag was donated to the state sometime after Hoke's death in 1912.
In December 2006, a personal Confederate battle flag, sewn by Flora Stuart, was sold in a Heritage Auction for a world-record price for any Confederate flag, for $956,000 (including buyer's premium). The 34-inch by 34-inch flag was hand-sewn for Stuart by Flora in 1862 and Stuart carried it into some of his most famous battles.
Brigadier General Bradley T. Johnson's Headquarters Guidon. On August 7, 1864, at Moorefield, West Va, Brig General William Averell's Second Cav Div, Dept of West Va, captured Johnson's headquarters guidon. Averell's command included the 1st Regt Cav, N Y Vol. The canton, appliqued onto the front and back, is wool with cotton stars. The field is cotton and heavily soiled and stained. Approximately 25% of the flag is missing including the upper fly quadrant and several stars on both sides.