Discover and save creative ideas
    • Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington (JHSGW)

      Florida synagogue hit the road in February 2012! Video: Article:

    More from this board

    Time-lapse video of the move of 639 New York, NE, Washington, DC. The building was was constructed in 1891 as a carriage warehouse.

    Thanks to a grant from the Maryland‬ Historical Trust, the Drum Point Lighthouse was moved about two nautical miles to the the Calvert Marine Museum's waterfront in 1975.

    Julia Morgan Hall (UC Botanical Garden at Berkeley) moved in January 2014

    House being moved from Colton and N. Boylston Sts. for construction of Hollywood Freeway, Calif., 1948. Caption when published in newspaper: "Many are the structures being moved or razed to make way for freeway. Family still lives in this house being moved at Colton and N. Boylston Sts" - Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA

    Fort Moore Hill High School being moved across Temple Street and Broadway, Los Angeles, 1886. Photo from California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960 Collection of the University of Southern California - related article: bldgblog.blogspot...

    In February 1924, after just eight months in its original location, this building was moved in a few blocks to serve as the headquarters of the Girl Scouts of America. The White House can be seen in the back. Learn more:

    To avoid demolition, in April 2011, the Lowell Mason House traveled 0.7 mi through Medfield, MA’s narrow streets in just over 10 hours. Click through to find link to tons of photos!

    Sometime after midnight, on a night earlier this week, the Capital City Diner went on a short joy ride on the streets of Washington and landed in the construction zone right next to the former, fire-ravaged D.C. Farmers Market, a mere 1.5 miles away. More photos: Raw video footage of move: www.nbcwashington...

    The Lenthall Houses, adjoining brick structures built about 1800, were moved from 19th and G Streets, N.W. in August 1978. It took approximately four hours to move them three blocks to 21st Street. William B. Patram, Inc. (the same guy who moved our historic 1876 synagogue!) was the mover.

    In 1915, the Dumbarton House was moved 100 feet to its present site, to allow for the extension of Q Street into Georgetown. From Streets of Washington: "It took three weeks and 200 jacks to raise the old house a half-inch off the ground and probably several months after that to drag it into its new resting place, a spot that had been dug out of the hillside some 60 feet to the north. Regretfully, no pictures have been located that show how this complicated engineering feat was accomplished."

    The former home of Hodge's Roast Beef Sandwich Shop moved just last week!

    Florida synagogue hit the road in February 2012! Video: Article: articles.sun-sent...

    Moving the 1876 historic synagogue, 1969 - Click through to view the Flickr album!