There’s more to see...
Join millions of other people on Pinterest!
Visit Site

Related Pins

Opened in 1856, this smallpox hospital on the southern tip of Blackwell's Island (now Roosevelt Island) was part of a multitude of public institutions to care for New York City's unfortunate and destitute. The island sits between Queens and Manhattan, and was easily accessible by ferry; it was home to a prison, insane asylum, and other similar facilities.As of 1872, an annual number of 7,000 patients were treated, with an average of 450 deaths. The island was renamed Welfare Island in 1921,...

Abandoned Smallpox Hospital is located on Roosevelt Island, a narrow island, in the East River of New York City. The Smallpox Hospital will be known as "Renwick Ruins" or "Renwick Smallpox Hospital". Roosevelt Island was known as the Welfare Island from 1921 to 1973.

Another evocative image from North Brother Island, NYCity. The island buildings were abandoned in 1962 or 1963, and nature is taking over.

Roosevelt Island (aptly named), a prison island, formerly a sanitarium opened in 1856, now abandoned for more than a half century. It lies between Queens and Manhattan.

Battleship island in Japan. The entire island housed 3x what it should have, and managed it by putting them in obscenely crowded apartments like this. Now, the entire island is abandoned, and is restricted to the public. These derelict sky-scraping ghettos fall without an ear to hear them.

Riverside Hospital, North Brother Island

Abandoned Ellis Island: Director's building

Bannerman's Island, Hudson River, NY — aka Pollepel Island. " . . . [D]esigned the buildings himself and let the constructors interpret . . . on their own." Ceased construction 1918, and part of it blew up in 1920. Island & structures bought by NY in 1967 for tourism, but all the roofs & floors were gutted by a fire in '69, making it even more unsafe, so it was declared "off-limits to the Public". Now, it's the property of the State of NY,

Riverside Hospital North Brother Island, NY Harbor. Now closed and uninhabitable. North Brother Island is on the East River between the Bronx and Riker's Island. Its companion, South Brother Island, is a short distance away. Together, the two have a land area of 20.12 acres. They say it's haunted. Typhoid Mary also lived here. The island was the site of the wreck of the General Slocum, a steamship which burned on June 15, 1904. Over 1K died.

Renwick Smallpox Hospital on Welfare Island; Renamed Roosevelt Island in 1973. Abandoned in 1962; preservation effort was attempted in 1975 but failed and the building was left to collapse and decay. (©2004