The William Hart House (1767) Located next to the First Congregational Church in Old Saybrook is the 1767 house of General William Hart, which is now the headquarters of the Old Saybrook Historical Society. Hart was a merchant engaged in the West Indies trade with his brother, Joseph. During the Revolutionary War, he outfitted privateers and led the First Regiment of Connecticut Light Horse Militia to Danbury, when that town was raided by the Brittish under Brig. Gen. William Tryon in 1777.
The Captain Elisha Phelps House was built by David Phelps in 1711. His son Elisha Phelps received the land from his father & expanded the house in 1771. Elisha Phelps along with his brother Noah Phelps & others took part in the capture of Fort Ticonderoga in 1775. Capt. Phelps was appointed as commissary of the Northern Department by the Continental Congress. The house was used as hotel named the Canal Hotel, after the war of 1812.
The John Barker House, at 900 Clintonville Road in Wallingford, is possibly the oldest brick house in Connecticut. The gambrel-roofed structure was built by John Barker, a wealthy farmer and slave-owner. The Barker House shares similarities of construction with Connecticut Hall at Yale University, an even earlier brick building. The house has a wood-frame rear ell, built around 1814.