Kendals department store opened as Watts in 1832 in Manchester and became Kendal, Milne & Faulkner when three employees bought out the business and reopened it in 1836. It first started when the founder, John Watts, began a drapery business in Deansgate in 1796 which became prosperous and was later known as "The Bazaar". Kendals was purchased by Harrods in 1919, taken over by House of Fraser in 1959 and rebranded under its new owner's name in 2005. Retail Therapy, Kendall, Years Ago, Display Retail Midcentury, Manchester Cheshire, Lancashire England, Manchester England, Art Display Retail
Visible in stone: women's history through the buildings they lived and worked in
"The history of the department store is strangely intertwined with women's path to emancipation. Women's eagerness to shop, one of few public activities considered suitable for females, propelled the department stores to success, and gave women new freedom from the house.This is the luxurious shoe department at Harrods in 1919."