"Standing on a mountain of already donated volumes, an amiable barker calls for still more books from passers-by outside the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue." From "(Undated) Library Book Drive, NYC, NY"
Louisa May Alcott writing at desk.In 1860, Alcott began writing for the Atlantic Monthly. When the American Civil War broke out, she served as a nurse in the Union Hospital at Georgetown, D.C. Her letters home brought her first critical recognition for her observations and humor. They were originally written for the Boston anti-slavery paper The Commonwealth.
LOST BEAUTY. Interior of the “Old Main” Building (1874) of The Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County, Ohio. J.W. McLaughlin, Architect. Photographer unknown. PLCH began in 1802 as a subscription library. It officially became the Cincinnati Public Library in 1853. Constructed on Vine St between 6th & 7th St in 1874, it was then considered the most magnificent public library building in the country. Site in use until 1955. per wikipedia.