Historic view of Zoar Historic District, c. .1900. The Village of Zoar is a well-preserved early 19th-century communal village. Zoar was founded in 1817 by a group of German “Separatists” fleeing religious persecution. They obtained a loan from the Quakers and purchased 5,500 acres along the Tuscarawas River, and formed the communal society. Everyone’s property and earnings became common stock and men and women had equal political rights in the community.