Hillerton - Named for Edward Hiller, this town sprang up in 1879 with a bank, a newspaper - the Hillerton Occident, several saw mills, a large hotel, a smelter and a toll road to Jack's Cabin. The toll road was the quickest route to Crested Butte and Ruby. By 1880 there were 1500 people living here. As the mines played out, the newspaper moved to Virginia City and the residents followed.
Como - Como was primarily a railroad town on the line to Breckenridge. There was a little coal mining done here, mostly by Italians. There were may saloons and gambling houses and even 2 newspapers as the railroad led to a more cosmopolitan life. The towns population was only about 500 people but there were always thousands there due to the railroad. In 1909, many of the buildings burned down and were not rebuilt.
Galena City - A man named George T. Lee lived here who thought this towns was going to surpass Denver and become the capitol of Colorado. He built an impressive brick house and led the movement to change the name to Galena City. It was never even made the county seat. Despite its lack of political clout, the town was pretty much owned by Lee as he had his hand in everything that went on.
Graysill Mines - Did they come for gold? Silver? No vanadium and uranium ore drew miners here from 1945 untill the mines closed in 1963. Vanadium useful as an alloy for hardening steel, held pride of place untill the 1940's when scientists harnessed uranium's radioactive properties to produce atomic power. The U.S. goverment created the Atomic Energy Commission to encourage uranium porduction and thr "rush" was on!
Abbeyville - In 1881, a C. F. Abbey built a smelter to handle the ores from the Virginia City mines. A small camp grew up around the smelter and, to no one’s surprise, was named Abbeyville. For unknown reasons, neither the smelter nor the town lasted but a short time. Most of the occupants returned from whence they came which was Tin Cup, only a mile north of Abbeyville. There is not much to mark the site of the former town.
Manhattan - Manhattan is a ghost town located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in northwestern Larimer County, Colorado, United States. The town was founded in 1886 as a gold mining camp, during the height of the Colorado Silver Boom. The town never experienced great prosperity, however, and had largely vanished by the early 20th century. The town was largely dismantled in the 1930s, and virtually nothing remains of it today.
Leavick - Leavick was est. in 1873. There was a post office1896 – 1899. At the mill it served the Hilltop and Last chance mines. Leavick was the terminal and also had a 20 car siding for which ore was sent out.
Leadville - At the juncture of highways 21 and 94 is the city of Leadville. By no means a ghost town except by the definition "a shadowy semblance of its former self", Leadville has a storied history equal to any early mining town anywhere. Known as the Silver King of Colorado, the story of Horace Tabor is the story of Leadville. The early discoveries of gold did very little to support Tabor and other first settlers of Leadville.
Highland Mary - Highland Mary was known for its mill, which served the Highland Mary mine located just above the mill site. The site was found by the Ennis brothers who went to a spiritualist to have them point to where they should start digging. The spiritualist told them where to dig and which way to go. By 1885 they had sunk one million dollars into the mine and had not received enough return. They declared bankruptcy.