Shaw Neighborhood Historic District - By the mid-1800's the area that would become the Shaw Neighborhood was owned by two landowners, Henry Shaw and Mary L. Tyler. In 1857, they agreed by deed to promote the "general improvement and salubrity" of their lands by opening Shaw, Flora and Tower Grove Avenues. The deeds also included restrictions which prohibited the construction of offensive factories and other "nuisances" that plagued earlier subdivisions in the city.
Henry Shaw. Photo by J.A. Scholten, 1882. Born in Sheffield, England, Shaw immigrated to the United States in 1819 to help his father recoup property that he had in New Orleans. With sales depressed in the South, Shaw soon moved to St. Louis, where he ultimately became a successful businessman and philanthropist. When Shaw created the Missouri Botanical Garden in the 1850s, he wanted the public to enjoy its beauty and to learn from the research being conducted there. Missouri History Museum