More from this board

Dogwood Dell

Historical marker for The Carillon at Byrd park.

6th Street Marketplace just before opening This aerial view, taken from the Richmond Marriott Hotel on Sept. 4, 1985, shows (from left) the Project I parking deck, Crystal Palace and Blues Armory, which were part of the 6th Street Marketplace.

The Dispatch Building, located at 1114-16 Main Street. The third oldest building on Main Street. Formerly the Hotel Lawrence. circa 1866

6th Street Marketplace bridge framework The support pillars and steel framework of the 6th Street Marketplace completely spanned Broad Street by March of 1985.

6th Street Market Place in background, crossing Broad Street (c) 1978

Nothing beat the campy fun of watching Bowman Body hosting horror movies on Shock Theatre on WXEX TV 8 on old tube TVs!

Bowman Body doing ad at Willow Lawn #RVA

Hopkins Furniture Company ad in June 14, 1914 The Times-Dispatch

.

5 Killed in 1921 Hopkins Furniture Store fire. Four of the five were firemen.

In late 1953, W.E. Hurt fed the correct amount of corn per handle in the first step of making a broom for the Richmond Broom Co. at 22nd and Main streets. The company began operations in 1900 and had become the biggest broom manufacturer in the South, producing about 500,000 a year. Its brooms were made with broomcorn, a sorghum grass with strong stems.

State-Planter's Bank and Trust Co. building at the corner of North Avenue and Brookland Park Boulevard in Richmond. In January 1926, two banks merged to become State-Planter's, and this building, constructed in the early 1920s for the State and City Bank and Trust Co., was home to the merged bank's North Side branch until June 1933. The building still stands today.

Thalhimers! High fashion in RVA

The story behind the video 'Richmond Vintage Signs' - Richmond Times-Dispatch #RVA

Wow! A goldmine of 1970s? #RVA nostalgia! Wonderful trip down memory lane with this vintage video of Richmond area signs!

Jordan's Branch shows that small streams can be beautiful, bothersome. It flows from near St Christopher's School, to Willow Lawn, to Bryan Park in North Richmond. There, Jordan’s Branch and Upham Brook feed into Upper Young’s Pond. The water leaves the park as Upham Brook, which feeds into the Chickahominy River, which feeds into the James.- Richmond Times-Dispatch: News

In 1942, the Army Built a Decoy Airfield in Virginia---to Fool the Luftwaffe | History | Air & Space Magazine

This September 1958 image shows the inside of the first S&W Cafeteria in Richmond. It opened in Southside Plaza in late August with seating for about 300, and entrée selections such as fried chicken, roast beef and breaded veal cutlet cost 55 to 60 cents. The cafeteria had about 60 employees. A second S&W was planned for the Willow Lawn shopping center.

Segregation at Byrd Street Train Station in Richmond, 1914. City of Richmond v. Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad Company, and Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company, 1914. State Corporation Commission, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

Railway ads in Classified section of June 24, 1908 Times-Dispatch (includes ads from Atlantic Coastline, Norfolk & Western, Seabiard, etc)

Interstate 64 construction at Staples Mill in August 1965. Water tower possibly Crump Company, later GE, then AT&T, then torn down. Location of water tower is now Comcast. [permission granted by Jeff Hawkins]

Interstate 64 construction at Staples Mill in August 1965. Water tower possibly Crump Company, later GE, then AT&T, then torn down. Location of water tower and any visible buildings is now Comcast. [permission granted by Jeff Hawkins]

Interstate 64 construction at Staples Mill in August 1965. Water tower possibly Crump Company, later GE, then AT&T, then torn down. Location of water tower and any visible buildings is now Comcast. [permission granted by Jeff Hawkins]

It's August 1965 and we're looking east along Staples Mill Road where the construction of Interstate 64 is well underway. [permission granted by Jeff Hawkins]