Marshall Fields Great Clock* In 1897 the first of "The Great Clocks" was installed at the Marshall Field's Dept. Stores now known as Macy's. In 1978, the Marshall Fields & Co.'s bldg. was listed on The Nat'l Register of Historic Places. Because of the history and landmark status of the bldg. on State and Washington St. in Chicago it will forever be known as the Marshall Fields & Co. bldg. and forever will hang "The Great Clock."