Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

1899 overhead view of the Croton Reservoir, at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 42nd street. (photo: NYPL collection) Bryant Park | Park History

850 painting by artist Agustus Fay showing the Croton Reservoir located on Fifth Avenue between 40th and 42nd streets, where the Main branch of the New York Public Library now stands. Bryant Park | Park History

Vintage 1930, Overhead view of the park facing the back of the New York Public Library and showing the original location of the Josephine Shaw Lowell fountain, on the east side of the park. After the 1934 reconstruction the fountain was moved to its present location across the park at 41st Street and 6th Avenue, NYC, www.RevWill.com

An early 1900s postcard showing the then Victorian design of Bryant Park and the Main Branch of the New York Public Library. (image: Bryant Park postcard collection) Bryant Park | Park History

Vintage 1879, This small section of a New York City map published by Galt & Hoy shows Croton Reservoir as well as the site formerly housing the Crystal Palace re-designated a city park and named Reservoir Square, NYC, www.RevWill.com

April 25, 1934, just months before the September re-opening of Bryant Park. The elevated train can be seen in the background running along 6th Avenue as well as the Union Dime Savings Bank building (left, at the corner of 6th Avenue and 40th Street. (photo: NYPL collection) Bryant Park | Park History

1904 Commerce Street taken from Barrow Street Manhattan -- a history of one New York City street name. by Simon Coconino, via Flickr

A view looking west on Wall Street about 1890 from the corner of Wall and Broad. Trinity Church is at the end of the street. To the left is ...

mobile.twitter.comfrom mobile.twitter.com

History In Pictures on

1910s . U.S. changing street lamps

This Massive Reservoir Used To Be In Bryant Park: Gothamist--on 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, at the site of the New York Public Library.

mobile.twitter.comfrom mobile.twitter.com

History In Pictures on

Wall Street, New York, ca. 1878.