Adams Theatre first opened in January, 1912 as the Shubert Theatre, presenting Broadway plays and try-outs. In 1913, the name and management shifted to Payton’s Theatre, followed by Keeney’s Theatre.The Adams Theatre was operated by Paramount Picture Inc. in the early 1940’s but was listed as (Closed) in 1941-1943. It continued as a grind movie house into the 1980’s at least, and is still standing.
The Warner's special place in the history of Washington began in the 1920s when dozens of grand theaters and movie houses lit up downtown. The "new" Warner-opened in 1992 and became once again a destination, not only for revitalized downtown Washington, but also for national and international recording artists and the finest in theatrical, dance, and television presentations.