sign up (free!)
Twin Temples - built by Ramsses II in 1264 BC in the southern province of Nubia. Over the centuries they were completely covered by sand. They were rediscovered in 1813 by a boy named Abu Simbel, who led a British archeologist to them. All that was visible was the top of the temple, with a frieze of baboons worshipping the sun. 4 years later, the temples were finally entered. The temples were known from then on by the name of the Egyptian boy who found them.