The Capitol Theatre, located just off O'Connell Street, Dublin, began life on 10 August 1920 as the La Scala Theatre and Opera House. Despite its name, the La Scala was a cinema. Paramount Pictures took over the lease on the building and renamed it the Capitol. The last stage show was on 29 October 1953. The Capitol continued as a cinema until 1972.